Saturday, August 29, 2015

Croatia Trip - Saturday: Landed in Zagreb

Arrived in Zagreb where Ivana picked me up from the tiny and quick Zagreb airport. Went back to her place in Communist style building, with beautiful modern Scandinavian looking interiors which she recently renovated prior to her moving to Boston. Had shower, had some of her mother's amazing walnut grappa with Croatian Ozujsko beer. The grappa was slightly sweet with depth, tasting mildly medicinal but thick.

Had dinner at Batak Grill where we shared a meat plate, and sopska salad, which consists of cucumbers, tomatoes and grated light cheese. I tried the cherry grappa there as well as a glass of Croatian red wine, which was smooth with few tannins.  We drove downtown where Ivana took me on a tour on Zagreb at night. We found a beer festival, lots of people enjoying the outdoor cafes, and we found one to sit at after the tour where I enjoyed a glass of honey grappa. Went back to Ivana's and crashed. Slept super well...I might not have jet lag after all!

No comments: