Sunday, September 6, 2015

Croatia Trip - Sunday: Catamaran to Mljet National Park

Took the Krilo catamaran out from Korcula in the morning. I went to the port I was previously dropped off at yesterday after gathering done pastries and an espresso, only to find out that the boat was picking us up at the other side of town. Good thing I had wandered the town enough yesterday, as I had to haul my backpack up the hill to the heart of town to get to the port on the other side of town. Frustrating, considering I still had boo idea where the Krilo catamaran was dropping me off at Mljet. Knowing what town would help me plan. I almost decided against coming here due to my anxiety and the uncertainty, but so happy I did.

When I got to the port, most of the people waiting were going to Dubrovnik. When the boat finally came (late), it made sense, as this boat was taking the same route I was: Split. Brac, Hvar, Korcula, Mljet, Dubrovnik. It's just my first time riding Krilo; all other trips have been by Jalalindroj.

I was lucky to find a sobu almost directly across from the park entrance. Same price as Korcula but definitely an upgrade. Cleaner, newer, and the man running it is so very nice. No attitude. Settled in, then went to the national park. 

Two saltwater lakes, with the most pristine turquoise blue water I have ever seen, so much so that it appeared to be glowing. Took the ferry to the monastery. So glad that I opted for this trip as I ended up staying at the swimming area behind the monastery for most of the day, even drifting off to sleep. Relaxed, finally.

When I took the 4.45pm ferry back to the lakes, I succumbed to my fear of missing out and decided to walk around the smaller lake, which took a little under an hour, even with my stops to snap photos to try to translate the turquoise blue water to digital film. Jumped back in the lake for a quick dip after even as the sun was setting.

Dinner was at Konoba Pomena. Eyes were definitely bigger than my stomach as I had only had two pieces of pastry all day. Ordered a white fish filet made in Mljet style, which was so delicious in a lemon, thicker white wine sauce, served with the usual boiled potatoes. Oh course, I wanted to also try the black risotto with squid and cuttlefish, deceivingly described as a "side dish." When it came, it was definitely not side dish portion sized.

Mljet's Riva is surprisingly large for such a remote town. After the rather large dinner, went for a walk up and down the Riva to where the locals eat and settled at Konoba Ana for a glass of pear liqueur at the table perched at the end of the pier. The pear liqueur tasted like liquid sunshine. With the yellow fleece blanket, the sound of water lapping, the soft sea breeze and the clear sky with the multitude of stars (so clear that I imagine I can see the Milky Way), I feel so stress free and would like to bottle this feeling forever.

No comments: