Croatia Trip - Wednesday: Catamaran to Hvar Town, Hvar Island
See you again, Split!
Had to check out by 10am, the lady renting the room to me reminded me no less than 3 times. Ok, got it. I was awake by 6.30am. Guess I'm over my jet lag. Dawdled around a bit, taking advantage of the wireless while I still had it. Out by 9 30am to find breakfast at Figa adjacent to the People's Square, after an unsuccessful attempt to find the land lady's suggestion at the opposite end of where I needed to go. Breakfast at Figa was decent, with tables situated along steps within the Diocletian Palace. Perfect timing; even with enjoying a leisurely breakfast, I made the catamaran to Hvar 45 minutes early.
The catamaran is definitely the way to go, speedy and smooth, while passing by sailboats along the Adriatic. After an hour and a half ride, the catamaran in to the harbor of Hvar. I fell in love with town at first sight. Rising out of the harbor with the medieval fortress in the background along the mountains, it looked so picturesque.
Welcome to Hvar! - St. Stephen's Square
Since my room wouldn't be ready until 3pm, I decided to eat lunch along St Stephen's Square. Found a restaurant that the guidebook recommended called Mariscola, with a pretty decent house white wine and flavorful meat lasagne.
Met up with the new land lady at 3pm sharp just as the bells were sounding at St Stephen's Cathedral. Very friendly, but very down to business, she escorted me to the room hidden away at the top of of steps to the right of the cathedral. The room was so cute --recently renovated with a modern kitchenette and bathroom, and so unlike the room I had in Split, where I had to go to the bathroom in the reception area! She explained to me the layout of the city, gave me some recommendations and advice of where to go, with a business like, loud voice.
Her recommendation for the remainder of the day, which I took, was to walk along the harbor and check out the rocky beaches. The rocks made for perfect hiding spots for your things, despite having to climb over to them to get in the warm water to escape the heat. And the water is like heaven, clear and turquoise cerulean blue.
No comments:
Post a Comment